Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2018

Steelhead & Surf Perch

My fly fishing purist friend, Chase, accompanied me on a trip to my two favorite steelhead creeks in Oregon.

After drifting a bead through a run thoroughly, I switched it up and put on a small custom made spinner. I cast straight across and "swing" my spinners through some holding water and before it even gets halfway, BAM! Fish on! 


For half a second it felt like a steelhead, but I quickly found out it was a native cutthroat trout! 



Okay, great! I caught a fish. However, I wasn't there for the trout. I came for the steelhead. Standing in the water while its pouring down rain can really damper your spirits. 

I was fishing a 10mm blood red bead through some fast water and felt it stopped. When I pulled up on my rod I felt a headshake and knew it was on. After a quick 5 minute battle I landed this fish. 

This ended up being the only Steelhead we landed for the trip. Hooked many more that didn't quite make it to the bank.

We decided to make the short drive to the jetty and see if we could get into some Rockfish... what we got was much better.



 Casting Berkley sandworms and big black leech flies was the ticket for both of us, as we ended up catching over 5 Surf Perch each off the rocks.
Casting in the white water after the waves come is key!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Steelhead & Surf Perch

My fly fishing purist friend, Chase, accompanied me on a trip to my two favorite steelhead creeks in Oregon. After drifting a bead thr...